$25 Million Deal For Rideau?

Published: March 15, 2014 09:53 am EDT

The Ontario government is expected to announce a $25 million five-year deal with Ottawa's Rideau Carleton Raceway, according to a report published on Friday evening.

An article in the Ottawa Sun has reported that the provincial government is expected to announce a plan next week that includes $5 million in transitional funds per year for five years for Rideau Carleton with at least 89 annual race days.

The article also includes reaction to the expected announcement from Nepean-Carleton MPP Lisa MacLeod.

“After putting some of my constituents out of work and forcing some to leave, the Liberal announcement of $5 million to the Rideau Carleton Raceway won’t restore what they destroyed,” MacLeod was quoted as saying by the Ottawa Sun. “In fact I think destroying a profitable revenue sharing arrangement only to put the industry on life support with subsidies is wrong.”

As reported earlier this week by the London Free Press, a five-year deal is expected to be announced soon between the province and a circuit of eight Standardbred racetracks -- Western Fair, Grand River, Clinton, Hanover, Flamboro, Georgian, Woodbine and Mohawk.

“I ask why then are eight tracks being treated with more funding and greater priority than Rideau Carleton Raceway?" said MacLeod. "Eastern Ontario agriculture and horse racing isn’t necessarily a priority for Ontario’s agriculture minister. Her record speaks for itself.”

(With files from the Ottawa Sun)

Tags

Comments

Two things come to mind here

1) Will this become just another unregulated deal, where the "Winner" takes all?

and ...

2) Who will be representing/negotiating ( with full disclosure )the Horsepeople in this region?

Be careful what you wish for. Those in the racing industry fought hard against the public perception and government dictate that the SARS program was a subsidy. The one now can only be called a subsidy like it or not. With less than 1% of the public interested in any way with racing, they will use the politicos to fight for subsidies for their own groups(which they will argue are far more important), such as schools hospitals etc. Yes I know the racing industry may try to suggest the money won't go there anyway but that is a "straw man". Mark my words on this one the government is trying to and will wean racing from any "cash infusions" not related to the handle. The racing industry(especially the one in Canada), better improve in a big hurry, and it has been told what is needed!!

What is wrong with giving the tracks that have slots a percentage of the slot play??

25% of the slot profit would probably go a long way to helping the racing industry !

In reply to by Peter1a

If almost all of the $5mil is directed toward overnight purses, this will add over $5000 to each race purse, assuming the stated 89 racing days and (only)11 races per day. That's more than I thought it would be. Not great, but a start. Now only if this were not a temporary thing.

hmmm I see were the monkey in the middle every body can play except kawartha downs that's the way us true Canadians survive help out every other municipality hope the ones making the decisions can sleep at night

Nice, I think the Mafia could learn a few tricks from this Liberal government. Just to surmise what just happened. They gave Ottawa horseman nothing in the last year from the slots which would of been 10 Million $ our 10% AS PER the last contract, then they will give us 5 million $ in the next 5 years which is roughly 5% of the profits but is deemed a subsidy that brings a lot of public outcry with it.
In the meantime, nothing nada zippo as changed since they terminated the contract. The slots are still on racetrack premises making money for the OLG. Is that legal to break a contract and change NOTHING ???

In reply to by duke77

In my opinion Norm it is not legal but the whole industry should have done what the Breeders are now doing - suing the OLG and the Government. Will they get together and do it - not on your life as you can read - some think its not great but it's a start. Give me a break!!

Kawartha is important to Rideau, Sudbury is intrinsic to Northern Ontario. Windsor attracted Michigan participants. It and Hiawatha, Dresden and Woodstock are being ignored. So much for a healthy harness racing industry in Ontario, going the way of Quebec.

Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.