2013 WDC Kicks Off In France

Published: June 9, 2013 09:21 am EDT

Canada's Trevor Henry started his World Driving Championship this morning with a solid fourth-place finish driving longshot filly, Alodana, at Hippodrome de Reims, in France.

The fourth-place earned Henry nine points and a feel for the racetrack.

"The track isn't too different," he said. "It feels a lot like Mohawk. Considering the horse I was driving, I was really happy with the result."

The race was the first of five for Henry in Leg 1 of the WDC.

"It's a different way of racing than what I'm used to, but I'll figure it out," he said. "The biggest thing is you've got to have them on the outside. You don't want to be caught inside."

Prior to the race, Henry didn't have the advantage of warming up with the horse as the trainer felt she was a "special" horse that didn't need to be warmed up.

On the outside for the entire 1-1/2 miles, Henry directed the filly to the middle of the track in the stretch and captured fourth, well behind the top three finishers. Spain's Antonio Frontera Pocovi was the first winner in Leg 1.

After making a big last to first sweep in the second race with Saphir D'Ascama, Henry's horse broke in the stretch. He finished third, but was disqualified because of the french breaking rule. Sweden's Bjorn Goop won the race.

The final three races of the day were challenging for Canadian Trevor Henry. He was disqualified twice more, making three times in total for the day.

"It's tough. When you have 12 horses in the races, it depends on where you get out and what kind of horse you have. I had a really good shot with the one but he broke in the stretch. The others were just duds."

Despite the results, Henry had nothing but good words for the track and his competitors.

"It's a beautiful track. The other drivers are good guys. The driving style is a lot more laid back. They don't make moves until up the backstretch and that's when the flow starts."

The second leg of the WDC continues tomorrow (Monday) in Caen. Henry notes that his tactics may change heading into the second of five legs.

"Tomorrow I'll be a little more aggressive off the gate. I wasn't getting away today where I should have. The horses didn't leave today. I wouldn't mind getting away fourth or fifth on the rail."

Henry will also have to change how he handles a horse, citing a difference between the French trotters and the North American standardbreds he's more accustomed to driving.

"These horses are really strong and way more aggressive in the mouth. They're so much harder to drive because they're constantly pulling with you."

The standings after the first leg are as follows:

Pierre Vercruysse - France - 77
Björn Goop - Sweden - 52
Antonio Frontera Pocovi - Spain - 42
Eirik Hoitomt - Norway - 40
Enrico Bellei - Italy - 38
Neil Day - Australia - 30
Rene Kjær - Denmark - 28
Gerhard Mayr - Austria - 26
Mika Forss - Finland - 26
Jason Bartlett - U.S.A. - 24
Trevor Henry - Canada - 14
David Butcher - New Zealand - 12

Tags

Comments

Have something to say about this? Log in or create an account to post a comment.