view counter
 
view counter
 
 

Daylon Magician's Vanishing Act

Published: December 17, 2013 3:49 pm ET

Last Comment: December 17, 2013 5:10 pm ET | 2 Comment(s) | Jump to Comments

First you saw him, now you don't. After two impressive October qualifiers at Mohawk, trotting titan turned stallion Daylon Magician disappeared from the harness racing radar.

The problem wasn't the horse. It was something else that disappeared: opportunity.

After retiring to a stallion career for 2013, Daylon Magician's connections made the decision to bring their prized homebred back to the track this past Summer.

According to the horse's co-owner Mary Lemon, the now five-year-old son of Kadabra was ready to rumble but couldn't find a race. Looking to enter at Mohawk or Woodbine in the Preferred class, the race hasn't filled since October 31, the day after Daylon Magician logged his second qualifier -- a 1:54.3 mile at Mohawk.

The Lemons have opted to ship the horse to the U.S. and into the care of trainer Mark Ford.

"It wasn't something we had planned on doing, but when he didn't get in after we entered him two weeks in a row ... so what were we supposed to do?" Lemon told Trot Insider. "We have this horse that's ready to race and nobody wanted to race him so we started looking elsewhere.

"It's just the way the industry is, it's really a shame to see the number of horses that have had to go to the States...and it's a shame to see some of the young people go down there but I know they have to have a livelihood."

The Lemons are hopeful that Daylon Magician will be able to race at The Meadowlands as they have a son that lives in New Jersey not too far from the track, thus giving them a nice excuse to go down to New Jersey.

Given that it's been six weeks since that last qualifier, Ford told Lemon to expect a qualifier for Daylon Magician in early January.

"He (Ford) trained him last week and said he was just perfect," said Lemon. "He was really impressed."

There's no set plan for a 2014 campaign for Daylon Magician, but unless opportunity opens up in Canada the trotter will likely race predominantly in the U.S.

"We're just going to have some fun with him, hopefully."

December 17, 2013 - 5:10 pmThat is such a shame and very

That is such a shame and very sad to hear. One of the best Ontario bred trotters lately. I understand the decision. But it makes me very mad and sad to realize what is happening here. It is unbelievable what a huge impact the decision to stop the SAR Program has had - the people who made the decision have no idea...

December 17, 2013 - 4:01 pmIt shows the sad state of

It shows the sad state of Ontario racing when you have a quality trotter like him and they can't race him here. Best of luck down in the USA to the connections, hes a very nice horse.


view counter
 
 
 

© 2014 Standardbred Canada. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement and compliance with the legal disclaimer and privacy policy.

Firefox 3 Best with IE 7 Built with Drupal VeriSign Secured - Click to Verify